Sunday, January 13, 2013

Open My Eyes to Wisdom

This is from December 18, 2012.

“Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and shrewd in their own sight!” Isaiah 5:21
“Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.” Proverbs 3:7

The last few days I have experienced people voicing reason that seemed to defy rational thought as well as some voices defying the Word of God. Other people nod their heads and agree with them, making them feel that their words are even more right than they even thought before they said them. The thought of “they are wise in their own eyes” kept coming to me. Now, I included two verses related to this but the Word, especially Proverbs, is full of verses just like this.

Last night part of my prayer time included asking God that if I fall into that category that He would reveal it to me. I prayed that my eyes would be open to the Truth. That I would focus on Him and His Word and not my own foolish ideas or thoughts.

We all have times when we are the foolish ones. If we didn’t then we would be perfect and already attained being completely like Christ. We are still very much a work in progress.

The best part is that He has told us how to avoid being fools. We need to fear the Lord and turn away from evil. This fear is not about being terrified of God. It is about reverence for the Lord. If we have reverence for Him then we will look to Him, listen to Him, and honor Him by obeying Him. If we do that we can turn from evil as well.

This is, honestly, easier said than done. We spend a whole lot of time with our own thoughts and we listen to them. We have to allow the Holy Spirit free reign to convict us of our thoughts and words that are wise in our own eyes. The good news is that He will and we can people who speak the Wisdom of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment