Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How's Your Fruit

This is from December 4, 2012. The funny thing is this idea has been going through my mind today. God knows exactly what is needed and when!

“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch can not bare fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.” John 15:4

Lately I have been thinking a lot about the phrase “ye shall know them by their fruit…” Matthew 7:16. Jesus is talking about false teachers, but it applies to me too. I want others to see good fruit in my life. If they see good fruit in me then they will see Jesus. I think that is one of the most important things a Christian can do, be an example of Christ to others.

So how do I know if others are seeing that good fruit? John 15:4 tells us how. We must abide in Him. Abide has multiple meanings, and some of them are really good. I think the best fit is a mix of some I found on Dictionary.com “to remain, continue, stay, dwell, reside, to continue in a particular relationship”.

I especially like the last part. If I want to see good fruit in my life, if I want others to see it I need to continue in my relationship with God. I need to spend time with Him. I need to abide in Him.

Then there is that tiny part of the verse that I really love, “…and I in you”. He is a constant relationship with me. He dwells in. He is remains with me no matter where I go and what I go through. I love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment