Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Problem-Talking Addiction

"Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life." Psalm 54:4.

"What if breaking the addiction of talking about problems - breaks new ground to talk about our provider?" Ann Voskamp

First off I have this thing about quoting people. Not that people can't say things that are right or line up with the Word of God. They can, but they also can say things that just make us feel good or sound so "biblical" yet isn't even close. Anyway, I don't usually like to focus on quotes, but this one got me thinking.

I realized that this is so true for me. We are told that if we can just talk about it healing comes. Well, I know that in my experience that isn't always, okay rarely true. Yes, I am a "bottler" so I don't tend to talk about things that need to be talked about. There are things that I need to talk about. There are things that we all need to talk about. Talking about things isn't bad. It isn't the talking about things that is the problem.

The problem is I turn something good, like talking about problems, hurts, needs, into an addiction. I become addicted to talking about them. They become my idol, my sense of identity. I never reach the healing because I can't let go of what I talk about. I get stuck there. I get addicted.

I was thinking about an example. I have a weight problem. I can talk about my weight problem until the cows come home but my weight will not go down,actually it'll probably go up. The only way the weight is going to come off is to work out and eat right. My acknowledging my weight issue is good. Even talking about it is good, but if I get stuck talking about it then it won't change.

But I don't have to stay there. I can stop letting the addiction of talking about my problems keep me from healing. I can instead focus on talking about the One who does bring the healing. He brings all the provision I could possibly need. So, just like the Psalmist, I need to focus my talking on Him and all that He does to provide for me.

Next time I find myself talking about my problems I need to stop and decide "I'm I addicted to talking about this?" If the answer is "yes" then I need to stop and start talking about the One who provides all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment