Saturday, July 28, 2018

Wisdom is No Shy, Timid Girl in the Corner

"Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: 'How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge? If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words know to you.' " Proverbs 1:20-23

Wisdom isn't a still small voice. Wisdom isn't aloof. Wisdom isn't evasive. She cried out in a raise voice. She goes to the streets and cries out. We know that Jesus often speaks to us in a "still small voice", but Wisdom seems to be the opposite. She is begging someone to listen, someone to take head of her words.

Honestly, I've read these verses many times, but the reminder that He is a still small voice, always made me think it would difficult to hear, but here we are being told, "nope, I am yelling it in the streets!"

So how do I know that the voice I hear is Wisdom and not just my simpleness? Verse 23 gives me a clue: turn at my reproof. In my own knowledge I am rarely wrong. I think my thoughts and ideas are right and good. I just plow ahead, whistle while I work, and wave at my neighbor as Wisdom shakes her head and calls out to me. She tells me that my way is not the right one. She tells to turn to her when she shows me the error of my thinking. She will pour out her spirit on me and make her words know to me. I won't have to just keep moving along, wondering if I going the right way or doing the right thing. She makes it known.

But even though she is calling out in the streets, most don't hear her. There are many simple ones, who just love being simple. I choose to not be simple. I choose to listen for her voice. I choose to listen and turn from my simple ways. Will I get stuck in my simpleness sometimes? Yes. Will I miss hearing Wisdom calling? Yes. Even though my simple might be showing, Wisdom, the Holy Spirit continues to guide and speak, and eventually, hopefully, I will listen and know what is being spoken to me.

Disclaimer: In case you are wondering if you missed a post, you didn't. I wish I had all insight and could write about every verse in Proverbs, but I'm certainly do not have that. I can only write about the ones that He reveals to me at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment