Friday, July 27, 2018

Do I Really Need to Listen to Them?

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching, for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendent for your neck." Proverbs 1:7-9

When I read these verses, I always think, "what if the parents are fools?" I work in a field where I see wise parents, but also a considerable number of foolish ones. Turn on the news and you'll hear stories of parents who do unwise things with and to their children, criminal things, unthinkable things. So should those children follow the words of Proverbs 1:8 and 9? As a child, will one even know if there parents' instruction and teaching are wise or not? That leads me to think about one of the commandments, "honor thy father and mother". Once again, I wonder how to do this when a parent or both parents aren't good people and it's hard to honor that which is not good.

The only answer I have is found in verse 7, "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." Our earthy parents will let us down; they will give bad instruction; and some will not be worthy of being listened to or honored. But God will always be there and gives us His instructions. He tells us to honor them, regardless of if they are terrible. He already knows every bad parent who lived, lives, and will live. We have to find a way to honor them anyway. We can listen to them, but check the Word to see if what they instruct is right. God knows that some children will have to follow their parents' instruction or risk serious punishment. I believe it grieves His heart to have any child or adult treated badly, but He does promise reward for faithfulness. He looks at our hearts and He knows the child who doesn't want to follow their parents' way, but as a child, he or she has little choice in the matter.

Not all parents are horrible, of course, but they are human and make mistakes. We still need to listen and hope that God shows them the error of their thinking. Parents who fear the Lord, will listen to Him, and they will hopefully come to a point where they realize the error of their instruction and speak to their children about it. I have no children of my own, but as I work with them. There is not many things more powerful than to apologize to them. There have been times when I have done the wrong thing, either purposely or unintentionally, and I have realized it and apologized. It's like a weight is lifted off of me and my students. They always accept, at least verbally they do, and I notice they become more aware of when they need to apologize to others. I take my role as an influential adult in their lives very seriously.

If you are a parent, make sure that your instruction lines up with God's Word, so you don't steer your children wrong. All of us our some one's child, even if you didn't know your parent, forgive the mistakes they made raising you, the bad advice given, and find ways to honor them in your heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment