Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Heaping Coals

"If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat, and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink, for you will be heaping coals on his head, and the Lord will reward you." Proverbs 25:21-22

For the longest time I couldn't understand why heaping coals on someone's head was seen as a good thing. There is nothing in my experience that says, "place some hot, burning stones on someone and they'll be happy". It just seemed to be one of those confusing Scriptures that I would never really understand. Then it was explained to me, the history behind the words.

Many people of that day were travelers, whether temporary ones who were traveling for festivals; caravans that brought goods from one far away place to another; or nomads who moved with their flocks for greener grasses. It took a long time to get anywhere, and nightly camps needed to be set up. One thing that they did was carry hot coals from the previous night's fire with them to make the process go more quickly. In the morning, they would take some coals and place them in a container, and someone carried this upon their head. Another way that people would need such coals, was if their fire went out at home. People would bank their fires until they need to start a new one. This would keep the coals hot enough to start a new fire when needed each day. Sometimes a fire would go out, and they would go to a neighbor to request a coal to start their fire. The coal was placed in a box, basket, or pottery and carried in a similar way on one's head.

When someone needed coals, it was a kindness to place some of your coals into their box. It's equivalent to feeding the needy, as this proverb states, because it was life giving. Someone needed food or water, a true neighbor would share. But these verses aren't about being neighborly. These verses are talking about your enemy. If the one who is mean to you, ridicules you, or abandoned you is in need we are to give to meet their need. That's a different story! Why should I give to someone who has caused me grief or shame? Why should I give to someone who would never give to me? Because we are told to. That doesn't make it easy. It's one of the hardest things we are asked to do. Sometimes I have no idea how to give to my enemy, so I pray that God will heap coals upon their heads. He knows what they need, and when I pray that I believe He will provide what that person needs. I do not pray those words easily. They are usually pushed out through gritted teeth, at least in the beginning. As I continue to pray for my enemies I find it easier to ask that God provides for them, and even if they still see me as their enemy I see them less and less as mine.

Feeding, or giving drink, or heaping burning coals, or praying for my enemies I think is more about me than it is about them. Yes, it gives them what they need. It is also me letting go of my hurt or my anger and giving something undeserved to someone else. Hopefully it will have a changing effect on them, but I can't know for sure that it will. However, I do know that it will have a changing effect on me.

Image result for carry coals on head
http://www.theasian.asia/archives/17194

No comments:

Post a Comment