Friday, June 20, 2014

Proverbs 1:2

"To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight, to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity; to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth - let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance, to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;  fools despise wisdom and instruction."
Proverbs 1:2-7

Proverbs 1:2-6 is sort of like the blurb on the back of a book. I pick up a book and turn it over to find out what it's about. Instead of the back of a book this is how the book of Proverbs starts. I don't know about anyone else, but if I read this on the back of a book I would buy it!

"To know wisdom and instruction" This means to discern what is wisdom and admonition or discipline. Okay, not really liking admonition or discipline. The book of Proverbs explains that they go hand-in-hand with wisdom though. I mess up as much as anyone else and I need to be admonished. I need to discern to know what is true admonishment and discipline and what isn't. Satan would rather beat me up and make me feel shame and failure. It is important for me to discern what is real admonishment and what isn't.

"To understand words of insight" These words of insight are sayings. To understand them means to be acquainted with them. That means to have personal knowledge of them. As a teacher, I teach my students many examples of figurative language. The idioms or adages or metaphors that they understand best are the ones that they have used themselves. We need to become as familiar with the sayings of Proverbs.

Wow, this is just verse two. If the reason for the book ended at verse two I would still want to read it. I would like to know what is real wisdom and discipline, and I want to become so familiar with wisdom saying that my life would be full of wisdom. The next post will continue by examining verse three.
theimpartationprojoct.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment