Sunday, April 20, 2014

Not In Words But In Power

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk about in power."
1 Corinthians 4:20

I was reading 1 Corinthians 4 today and this little verse jumped off the page at me. In context, there were some in the church of Corinth that were arrogant and talking themselves into a sense of power. Paul was reminding them that it isn't about talking one's self up or even talking God up, but rather it is the power of God.

This verse has stirred up something, I might need to mediate more upon it and ask God for more wisdom concerning it, but I think it might be the original wording to a popular phrase we use. "Actions speak louder than words." Without getting too specific, because it isn't my place to, I am going to relate a story to you that I think goes along with this.

About a week ago, a friend of mine shared great news. As she shared, I was having a very hard time and, honestly, was repeating a lie of the enemy in my mind. The lie was so overwhelming and my emotional state was so poor at that moment, I had to retreat. Literally! I got up and walked away. I made some feeble excuse, better known as not the whole truth, and away I went in tears. Which spoke louder to her, my words or my actions? Well, my actions. Did my actions speak what I intended? No! My actions were completely wrapped up in the swirling lie and my emotional state not in her news, but that wasn't the powerful statement that she knew. All she knew is that I was leaving her in the moment of great joy and it hurt her.

She and I have since talked. I explained what was really going on. She told me how she felt in the moment. I apologized. Great, right? Well, it's a good start. Yup, just a start. Because it isn't about talk it's about action. Now, some might think I have missed the whole point of the above Scripture. I know that the verse is talking about the kingdom of God, but as His follower, his heir, am I not apart of His kingdom too? Do I not have a responsibility to respond in the power of the Holy Spirit and not just in my own words or supposed power? Yes. My words should reflect that He is in me. As well, my actions should reflect the power of the Holy Spirit in me.

Therefor, when God spoke to me and told me that as nice as my words were to her, it wasn't enough, I knew I need to do something specific. Is my own pain still a part of all of this? Yes! I still have a heart desire longing that is a part of me, and many times that longing feels painful. Does that pain run smack dab into her great news? Yes, it does. I will not deny the pain is still there. She knows it is and understands it in a way most people never could. Even though it is still there I need to act in the power of Christ. I don't want to give anything away, because she doesn't know yet, but God gave me an action that I hope will speak much more loudly than my previous actions, which were not directed at her but were fully wrapped up in me. Also, this action will speak more powerfully that any words of support or encouragement that I could give her, at least I believe it will.

So many times we talk.We talk and talk and talk. I think maybe we need to shut up a bit more and act out more from the power that He has placed within each of His followers. We need to act in the power of the Holy Spirit. He's in us! I guess it's time to shut up and time to start acting up!

www.fggam.org

No comments:

Post a Comment