Friday, April 26, 2013

Fly to the Light, Birdie!

"For it is you who light my lamp; the Lord my God lightens my darkness." Psalm 18:28

As I started to type this a birdie was stuck in my chimney. I could hear the poor thing frantically trying to figure out how to get back out. It breaks my heart to hear the poor thing struggling in there, and I call up to it, "fly up baby, fly up!" The birdie still struggles on, but I do know the light is coming. By now the frantic struggle is over. The sun is coming up and the birdie has seen the light. The birdie has looked to the light and flown away. Some of our struggles are just like this birdie's.

Since this is an almost daily occurrence in the Spring, or maybe I should say an almost evening or early morning experience, I have an idea of what traps the birdies. The birdies are playing and swooping and exploring when they fly into the top of my chimney. They aren't necessarily seeking a dark place but they end up there.

We aren't always seeking dark places, but we can end up there. We frantically try to find the way back out, but it seems that the opening we came through has been overcome by darkness. We call out and look for any possible light that will lead us out. Sometimes the darkness of our night seems to drag on and on. We wonder if it will ever end. Just like the birdie in my chimney, the light does come.

God lightens our darkness. We see Him and know that He is leading us out of the darkness. Although He wants us to call out to Him and He can bring the light at anytime, many times we have to wait. Just like the birdie waited for the daylight to shine into the chimney, sometimes we have to wait as we go through our dark places. Hopefully, that birdie will learn and not fly back down my chimney. Hopefully, we will have learned from our dark experiences and stay out of places that make it difficult for us to see the light.

My advice for today is for us is to look to the light and fly towards Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment